USING SULFITES FOR CLEANING AND SANITIZATION
TREATING CORKS BEFORE BOTTLING
- Rinse corks in water to remove cork dust.
- Soak corks in a solution containing 1/2 tsp. sulfite per 8 oz water (room temperature). Soak for 30 minutes.
Tip: to prevent the corks from floating in the sulfite solution, place the corks and sulfite solution in a large zip-lock back. Squeeze out the air.
- After soaking the corks for 30 minutes, drain the sulfite solution. Do not rinse the corks.
- If you experience difficulty inserting the corks into the bottles, lubricate the corker with wine finishing formula (winery-grade glycerin).
USING SULFITES FOR SANITIZATION
- Rinse clean equipment (carboys & buckets) with a solution containing 1/2 tsp. sulfite per 8 oz water.
Note: If your equipment is not already clean, then soak in a B-Brite solution for at least 30 minutes. If equipment is heavily soiled, then soak overnight.
- fter rinsing equipment with the sulfite solution, do not rinse with water.
- Before bottling wine, rinse clean bottles with a double strength sulfite solution (1 tsp. sulfite per 8 oz water). Do not rinse.